Salve Regina University McKillop Library
Salve Regina University sits on the grounds of the 1888 gothic-revival Wakehurst mansion. The library’s massing and scale responded to the mansion and to the site’s mature landscaping. The layout takes advantage of the elaborate formal garden between the two buildings. Inside, the design reflected the University’s continuing commitment to modern educational excellence. The McKillop Library created a distinctive place in the heart of the campus, and underscored the University’s image and educational goals within the highly regulated and sensitive historic district of Newport. The $8 million library housed 230,000 volumes and updated computer and fiber optic information network.